Alfonso "Fonsi" Bonilla
DJ, Foodie, Writer, & Language Enthusiast
See my resume
Computational Linguist looking to be apart of a project
involving machine learning, natural language processing,
data science, research, and cross-department collaboration.
- Machine Learning & Statistics
- Research & Experimental Design
- NLP & Computational Linguistics
- Visualization & Exploratory Analysis
- Data Mining & Processing
- HTML, CSS, & jQuery
- NLTK (Natural Language ToolKit)
- SciKit Learn (Machine Learning Toolkit)
- iPython & Jupyter Notebooks
- Version Control (git & svn)
- reStructured Text (rst)
- Praat (Acoustic Analysis)
- Audacity & Ableton (Audio Processing)
- RedCap & XNAT
- Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PPT, Access, Outlook)
- English (Native)
- Spanish (Native)
- Mandarin Chinese
M.S. Computational Linguistics
- University of Washington
- GPA: 3.74
- July 2016 - Dec 2017(Expected)
B.A. Linguistics & Molecular Cellular Biology - Neurobiology
- UC Berkeley
- GPA: 3.50
- January 2011 - May 2015
Dialog Systems Intern
- Seattle, WA
- August 2016 - November 2016
- Developed documentation and tutorials for ChatFlow (technical software) using reStructuredText and Sphinx library for Python.
- Created video tutorials explaining ChatFlow and the process of building bots with ChatFlow.
- Designed Conversational Agents for third-parties and integrate them into an Alexa Skill, Facebook Messenger, and Telegram.
- Integrated third-party API's into Dialogue Systems.
- Identified new markets for Conversational Agents through exploratory research.
- SRI International
- Menlo Park, CA
- August 2015 - May 2016
- Maintained database and retrieval system using Microsoft Access, Python, and SQL.
- Queried databases using Python and Microsoft Access.
- Processed and cleaned data using Python and Microsoft Excel.
- Evaluated data quality by leveraging statistic algorithms using Python and R.
- Created tutorials for python libraries and RedCAP (technical software).
- Developed a quality control notification system for a data pipeline using Python, Subversion, and Git.
- Resolved data quality issues by coordinating with five data acquisition sites throughout the US.
- UCB Helen Wills Neuroscience
- Berkeley, CA
- October 2012 - May 2015
- Formulated research question and experimental design for a Mandarin Chinese Perceptual Experiment.
- Processed phonetic acoustic signals using formant analysis, two-dimensional Fourier transformation, modulation filtering, and acoustic space visualization in Praat and Matlab.
- Debugged the GUI (graphical user interface) of the experiment and troubleshot the experimental set-up in realtime.
- Debriefed human subjects about the experiment, goals, and rights as a participant in compliance with HIPAA.
- Collected human perception data using a force-choice paradigm experimental design.
- Visualized experimental results using MatLab.
- Presented results using Microsoft Power Point and poster at national conferences (ABCRMS).
- JHU School of Public Health
- Baltimore, MD
- May 2014 - August 2014
- Formulated research question and identify key metrics for patient participation in Doctor Visits.
- Created literature reviews, wrote blog postings, and edited academic journal articles and writings.
- Cleaned and processed interview text data using Python.
- Identified statistically significant factors associated with Doctor-patient interactions usage using Regression in R.
- Provided English translation for Spanish conducted Interviews.
- Visualized experiment results using Python and R.
- Presented study and results using Power Point and poster at national conferences (SACNAS).
- Wrote study and results in a research paper.
- San Francisco, CA
- May 2012 - August 2012
- Answered research question using experimentation.
- Performed apoptotic assays measuring impact of cell death on the cellular community.
- Engineered an artificial receptor to test new technology and troubleshoot non-specific binding.
- Presented results using Power Point and poster at symposium.
- Stanford University
- Palo Alto, CA
- June 2009 - August 2009
- Answered research question using experimentation.
- Engineered artificial protein, transduced the engineered protein into mammalian cells, and visualized the modified cells using microscopy.
- Presented study and results using Power Point and Poster at an university-wide symposium.
- NIH-MARC (National Institute's of Health Maximizing Access to Research Careers) Fellowship: 2 years of Research Funding
- UCLEADS (University of California Leadership Excellence through Advanced DegreeS) Fellowship: 2 years of Research Funding
- Biology Scholars Program
- Poster Presentations at SACNAS and ABRCMS (National Conferences)
- Special Merit Poster Presentation Award, UCLEADS Annual Symposium
Design & Visual Work
Programming & Coding
Back in 2006, a teenage boy discovered KPOP and the magic of mixing different genres of music together. Over the years, he left his home and took his mixing out of the bedroom performing for drunken frat boys, raging liberals, and fellow music fans. He has grown from a little caterpillar and has become a firey disco butterfly!
Future Funk Realness by Yamalama on Mixcloud
What's cookin' good lookin'?
Food is more than just food. It is something I hold very sacred. It tells us so much about ourselves, where we came from, and the sacrifices it took for us to get there. Feel free to follow me on instagram to check out my latest food adventures.